The application should describe the provisions that will be implemented for the construction and commissioning of the reactor facility in accordance with REGDOC‑2.3.1, Conduct of Licensed Activities: Construction and Commissioning Programs . This description should include the arrangements made to facilitate regulatory oversight of specified construction and commissioning stages, tests and hold points for specified licence activities.
The application should also describe the programs and process in place to manage the key functions important to safety. Many of these programs and processes will begin during the construction and commissioning of the reactor facility and will be completely implemented when normal operation commences. The beginning of applicability and the point at which full implementation will occur should be indicated in the description of each process. If the applicant expects to implement a program later in support of normal operation, they should supply sufficient information to demonstrate how the program’s development and implementation is planned, including the timelines and milestones that will apply.
The application shall:
· include information on how the applicant will exercise overall responsibility for the conduct of construction activities
· describe the construction program to be implemented
The construction program should be well planned, controlled, and properly documented, and it should cover:
· procurement, construction, fabrication, certification, identification, transportation and storage
· design and engineering, or testing of SSCs, either at the construction site or at fabrication locations remote from the site
· activities to be performed (described in manageable units)
The application should describe the processes and procedures that will be used to confirm that the reactor facility’s SSCs are constructed according to their design specifications and applicable regulatory requirements, codes and standards. A list of the construction functional tests and commissioning tests that are planned for the different construction stages should also be included.
The application should describe the overall process to be followed to satisfactorily complete the concrete work during the construction phase. The application should provide sufficient information to permit a clear understanding of how the concrete construction will proceed, how the quality will be controlled and assured, and what objective evidence will be collected to demonstrate that the design performance specifications for the buildings and structures will be verified.
Some examples of considerations are:
· material certification, identification and control, batching, mixing of concrete constituents, curing of concrete, and construction joint preparation
· measures to control the quality of the construction, including inspections and required tests
· processes for grouting work
· control of forms in final structures, arrangements for their bracing to ensure conformance of structures with design drawings
· control of concrete temperatures and, when required, the specification of pre‑heating or pre‑cooling of the concrete constituents, and prevention of thermal shock
· fabrication and placing requirements for reinforcing systems of concrete containments and confinements to comply with the relevant design, and construction drawings
· installation procedure for the tendons
For more information, see:
· REGDOC-2.3.1, Conduct of Licensed Activities: Construction and Commissioning Programs 
· CSA A23.1:19/CSA A23.2:19, Concrete materials and methods of concrete construction / Test methods and standard practices for concrete 
The application should describe the measures taken to control the quality of the construction and installation of the reactor facility’s metallic components, including the inspections and tests to which they will be subjected.
The application should also provide the codes, standards and technical specifications for metallic components used during construction and the installation process. The materials used for welding, manufacturing, construction and installation should be identified and certified as per their applicable codes and standards.
The application should identify the processes and certifications for examination, shop inspection, field inspection and testing.
Consultation has concluded