The application shall describe the processes that pertain to the overall adequacy of the facility design, including layout of the facility itself.
Basic technical characteristics
The application should include a description (in a table, if appropriate) of the principal features and specifications of the reactor facility, including (but not limited to):
· number of reactor units
· type of reactor facility and its main features and characteristics
· safety systems
· type of nuclear steam supply system
· type of containment structure
· thermal power levels to be reached in the core
· corresponding net electrical power output for each thermal power level
· any other characteristics necessary for understanding the main technological processes of the design
In cases where the reactor facility design is similar to earlier designs licensed by the CNSC, the applicant should provide a comparison that identifies and justifies the main modifications and improvements that have been incorporated into the submitted design.
Layout of main systems and equipment in the facility
The application should include basic technical and schematic drawings of the main facility SSCs, including:
· details of the physical and geographical location of the reactor facility
· connections with the electrical grid
· means of access to the site by rail, road and water
This information should be sufficient for the CNSC to verify that:
· the facility design is in accordance with sections 6.5 and 6.6 of REGDOC‑2.5.2, Design of Reactor Facilities: Nuclear Power Plants 
· the reactor facility design includes adequate provision for an appropriate exclusion zone
The information submitted should demonstrate that:
· the facility layout takes into account PIEs to enhance the protection of SSCs important to safety
· in accordance with section 8.13 of REGDOC‑2.5.2 , suitable provision has been made in the design and layout of the reactor facility to reduce doses and radioactive releases from all sources
The application should also include general layout drawings of the entire reactor facility, accompanied by a brief description of the main systems and equipment, and their individual purposes and interactions. Information on reactor facility layout that contains security-related information should be submitted in a secure manner.
The application should include references to other sections that provide more detailed descriptions of SSCs. The application should describe the main interfaces and boundaries between onsite equipment and systems provided by different design organizations, including the interfaces with equipment and systems external to the reactor facility (for example, the electrical grid). The description should provide sufficient detail to reveal how the reactor facility operation will be coordinated.
The application should refer to the confidential information on the provision made for the physical protection of the reactor facility.
Consultation has concluded