The application should include a description of the fuel handling and storage systems in accordance with section 8.12 of REGDOC‑2.5.2, Design of Reactor Facilities: Nuclear Power Plants , including details for:
· monitoring and alarming
· criticality prevention
· shielding, handling, storage, cooling, transfer and transport of non-irradiated and irradiated fuel (note: human/machine interface aspects of fuel handling should be in accordance with section 7.21 of REGDOC‑2.5.2 )
The application should also include a description of methods for detection of failed fuel in the reactor, in accordance with section 8.12.3 of REGDOC‑2.5.2 .
The application should:
· describe how the generation of radioactive and hazardous wastes is minimized
· how the wastes are characterized, controlled, handled, conditioned and disposed of,
· indicate which systems are or will be in‑service before initial fuel load
· provide a schedule for completing the development and implementation of the remaining systems
This information should be in accordance with the following sections of REGDOC‑2.5.2, Design of Reactor Facilities: Nuclear Power Plants :
· section 8.11 for the design of waste treatment and control systems
· sections 7.9 and 8.11 for the safe handling of waste of all types that is produced at any stage of the reactor facility’s lifecycle, from construction to commissioning
· section 7.21 for human factors considerations
The application should also describe how releases within the reactor facility and to the environment will be monitored and controlled such that they remain within prescribed limits.
The applicant should provide information on the design of laboratories and Class II nuclear facilities within the reactor facility and whether the applicant proposes for this activity to be included as a licensed activity under the Class I licence. The design of laboratories and Class II nuclear facilities should meet the requirements of the Class II Nuclear Facilities and Prescribed Equipment Regulations and the Nuclear Substances and Radiation Devices Regulations, as applicable.
The applicant should provide information on the provisions for storage of items such as, but not limited to, contaminated tooling and radiation sources.
For more information, refer to GD‑52, Design Guide for Nuclear Substance Laboratories and Nuclear Medicine Rooms .
Consultation has concluded